Wednesday 4 April 2012

CV Design Research Continued...

A recommended website on our brief is : webdesigndepot

They have some great creative CV designs and I have pulled out some that have caught my eye to annotate:

1.

This Guitar string inspired design is great for somebody looking for work in the music industry. However, I like the concept of the Guitar string timeline, but I do not think the text is clear enough to catch an employers eye.

2. 


This CV is well thought out and organised. The graphs are great and a perfect way to represent yourself if you will be needing to use similar skills in a job for example as a researcher, etc. It is creative but still maintains a high level of professionalism.

 3.
Whilst this may not be the most striking CV design, it is a good example of how you do not always need images for an interesting creative document. Good typography can work just as well which is why fonts can be extremely important.

 4.

This CV is using a timeline design. I do not like this layout however, as I think it is confusing and not clear at all. The colour coding is a nice touch, however, it is a very complex design which is not necessarily going to attract a potential employer.

5.


The two examples above I love!! They are template designs for boxes with the persons CV details printed on the sides which are great ideas for creative paper-based CV's. They are different and fun and I like how they come with instructions. Soemthing like this would really standout to an employer- however, you could run the risk of them dismissing looking at it as they may not have the time to construct it and therefore your CV will be left to one side. Therefore it may be more practical to have something like this as an accompaniment to your actual CV.

 6.

What I really like about this design is how they have used Icons to represent what computer software they can use- rather than just writing it out. This kind of thing is what can really save you space on your CV to add in other important information without having to leave things out. It is also an appealing design as it allows the employer to quickley identify what they can or can't do with out having to read lots of text.

7. 

This CV has a London tube route design, with the 'stops' being the relevant information of the person. I like this design, it is simple and clear. It is a great idea for somebody going for a job in London as everybody will immediately identify with it, but it is also something that can work everywhere. The colour coding is a great way to seperate each area, and he has not overloaded it with text which would have ruined the design. I also like how he has created a logo for himself. There is, however, alot of white space but I think it does work for the simple layout and design concept.

 8.

This is not the most attractive design but it is a clever one. It is using a Google Maps style image to place where they have experience. This is a good idea if you have alot of previuos work experience, as it is a different way of displaying it than just a uniform list. However, as I have said it is not the most attractive design and I think it can looka little cluttered in places and be a little too much. The white writing does not stand out very well but i do like the coloured pins.

9.
This is probably my least favourite design. I think it is too text heavy and it is very confusing with lots of boxes and symbols everywhere. It is also not very colourful so not much really stands out. I am a fan of more bold, bright and simple layout designs than ones that are too intricate and over-complicated.

 10.

This is a nice design. I like the food skewers as it shows they have an interest in food or cooking and would be a great idea for somebidy applying for a job in the food industry such as a chef, or food critic. I like the typography and its simple clear layout. The graphic however, does take most of the focus away from the information which really should be the part of the CV to stand out.


 11.

This is quite a brave CV, it is clearly designed to be funny with the image of a man screaming and breaking free of ropes and the strapline "He was safely locked up-but now he's out!" This will certainly grab the attention of anyone that comes across it which is what a CV should do really so it certainly does the job.


 12.

This is a great idea for somebody that is looking for a job in science, biology or even psychology with the diagram style. The blue and white work well together and I like how there are different sections.

13.

This is a really nice example and would work well for a profile page. I like the note pad style paper as it looks clean and clear and I also like the fan effect of the cards which display his experience. He has included a picture of himself but it is professional and appropriately formatted so I think it works well here. I also like the "Top Secret" section as it adds abit of an edge to the whole document.

14. 

This is another great design for somebody trying to go for a more academic position. However, the graphics are so intricate it works well as a designers CV also. I do think however the colour is a little bit dull. It suits the style of the graphics, etc. but it is not very exciting and the text does not stand out at all.

Creative CV's are a great way to stand out but not everyone agrees. I thought some of the comments left on the website (webdesignerdepot.com) were quite interesting:

Micheil: hmm.. I can't say I agree with the design of about 90% of those Résumés, purely because they are overly graphical. Your résumé is meant to be a document, not a poster.
I do however quite like these ones out of the list:
-
http://akidesign.deviantart.co...
- http://darthkix.deviantart.com...
- http://mac1388.deviantart.com/...
And just for reference, my résumé is rather simple in it's design, If you're interested, you can have a look at a copy of it over at http://clients.yettobebranded.... .

However, others defended the CV's showing that they can be a great way of standing out to employers but it can depend on what profession you are entering:

Ni Pos:
Sorry Micheil- I disagree.
I believe that all of these can be used appropriately for Graphic Design positions and would be much more catchy than the standard "word" format. If these folks were going for standard web developer, marketing, or other jobs than there would be no need to show some of their creativity up front. However, since most of these folks are going directly for Graphic Design, I think what they've done is tasteful and very appropriate. Graphic Design demonstrates visual communication skills, top agencies recognize this and would hire based on this. Smaller traditional conservative shops may not appreciate this, but then again I don't think many of these graphic designers want to work somewhere "traditional".

I think I have found a great deal of really inspiring designs for my CV and my portfolio. I have realised what I do and do not like which will help me to properly format my work. It is also important to have the design something that will reflect my own personality and the area of work that I would like to be in in the future. I am mostly interested in working within PR or Visual Merchandising. Therefore I will look at ideas that connect to both of these areas and pick a style that I feel suits me too.


Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment