Wednesday 18 April 2012

Layout Inspiration: WAH Nail Art Book

I recently puchased the 'WAH Nails Book of Nail Art,' as I love their nail art pens and wanted some inspiration on some more designs. However, whilst checking out the book I realised they have an amazing layout and style that showcases the work of WAH off to a great standard.
Therefore I scanned some images of the book to share as inspirtaion:

The Cover

This highlights straight away what the book is about as 'Nail Art' takes priority on the cover. The black on white design is quite striking and is made more interesting with added flashes of hot pink! I love the colours and the style of the art work. I am not the biggest fan of illustrations such as the hearts in the corners as I think they can sometimes look a little bit childish.
The book opens to this photo montage of polaroid styled snaps of the owner of WAH Nails and also author of the book Sharmadean Reid.This is another good way of sharing experience with an employer and showing them what you do and how you have got to where you are now However, you have to be careful when selecting images for something as formal as a CV as you do not want to maske a basd impression on them. I like the effects on the majority of them images on these pages, especially the polaroid  snaps theme.

Throughout the book, their are pages with helpful tips and instructions on nail art. The title fonts used are reall decorative and I like the articl style to the structure on the paragraphs. This relates the book to a magazine. I like how the headers are made to be bolder and the coulours are consistent through out.

Title pages between sections are used to break up the book to keep it interesting rather than just a list of different designs. This looks really good, however, my portfolio will not be as big as this book and therefore it will be able to afford not to have so many breaks. 



The majority of the book however, is dedicated to different nail designs and patterns. I love how the whole look of the pages really comes together. They have a consistent pink striped header at the top of the screen and the font style is kept consistent through out, which brings the layout order, however, the fonts chosen our so nice and creative, despite the text being pretty much black on white- they still manage to look really fun and on trend.
I was also inspired by the backgrounds used on some of the pages. They have various designs which include, stripes, checks, graphs, etc. They are placed on the back subtley and suit the whole graphics nature for the brand which is essentially promoting graphics for your nails!

I have found this book extremely useful. Although, I will not follow the layout exactly as is in the book, I will definitely be taking away elements in terms of font,, background graphics and colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment